Introducing the center:
In September 2011, Dr. Massoud Amiri proposed the establishment of Social Determinants of Health (SDH) Research Center to the SKUMS Vice Chancellor for Research and Technology. In December, 2011, the Ministry of Health provisionally agreed with the establishment of the research center. In May 2012, the SDH Research Center was officially introduced into the Research Support System.
- Giving attention to the constant scientific and research promotion of the research center
- Attracting intra- and inter-sectoral collaboration to increase the center's resources for conducting research focused on social determinants of health
- Inviting non-governmental organizations to collaborate more widely with the research center
- Laying the groundwork for and increasing the quantity and quality of research in social determinants of health and health equity
- Empowering researchers and research enthusiasts by holding training workshops;
- Tracking and directing research in social determinants of health
- Making research in social determinants of health and health equity purposeful
- Applying the results of research in in social determinants of health and health equity
- Achieving a (distinguished) rank among research centers appropriate to the university conditions
- Turning the center into a reference for providing research findings related to social determinants of health, especially in southwest Iran
- Introducing the center as one of the scientific representatives of Iran to international health organizations such as WHO
Conducting quantitative and qualitative research focused on social determinants of health with the aim of promoting community health and producing knowledge required by Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province given the needs of the community, using public participation and relying on enthusiastic researchers and professionals.
1) Social harms and its consequences (suicide, addiction, divorce, etc.)
2) Non-communicable diseases with emphasis on mental health
3) Infectious diseases (e.g., Covid-19)
5) Mental health and social determinants of health.
1) Social Determinants of Health Research Center (SDH) in recent years, especially since 2018, succeeded in making qualitative changes in its activities, including some agreements with organizations and other universities (e.g., memorandum of understanding with National Forensic Medicine Organization, Provincial Anti-Narcotics Council, Gas Department, and SDH research centers at medical universities of Lorestan, Ahvaz (Jundishapur), and Zanjan, and also a comprehensive collaboration agreement with Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Center). Also, the memorandum of understanding with the provincial police force and the provincial Imam Khomeini Relief Committee is being finalized.
2) Since 2021, SDH has focused on creating the Zagros SDH Research Network (ZAGROS SDH) with the special collaboration of theSDH research centers at medical universities of Zanjan, Lorestan, Kermanshah, Kurdistan, Hamedan, Khuzestan, Qazvin, Ilam, and Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad provinces to conduct comprehensive and joint research in western Iran.
3)SDH in 2020-2022 succeeded to be selected as the research center to conduct distinguished research project among provisional organizations and departments by two large research projects entitled Increasing resilience and reducing violence in the province's youth and Strategies for youth marriage sustainability in the first years of marital life with emphasis on divorce prevention that were approved by the Provincial Council for Strategic Studies and Research and commissioned by the General Directorate of Sports and Youth of the province. The first project was completed and the second project was welcomed by the employer.
4) The SDH of the SKUMS in the final evaluation of the country's research centers in 2021-2022, which reviewed the records of the centers until 2022, succeeded to improve its position by 124 ranks (to promote from 194th rank to 70th rank). This accomplishment was fulfilled by collaboration of the faculty members of the university.
5) In addition to conducting research in social determinants of health, the center has also codified Comprehensive Health Plan of the Province and managed to obtain the approval of the proposal of this project from the center council and the university research council.
First name and Last name: Dr. Masoud Lotfizadeh
Degree of Education: Associate Professor of Community Health
Department: Department of Public Health, School of Health
CV: Scientometrics System
Address: Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences